Before I start this little post, I thought I would list all of the things that I have obtained since I graduated from tertiary college back in July 2016, just so that this post doesn’t come of as entirely negative. So without further adue, the stuff which I got after I finished uni includes:
- Two flashy certificates with wax seal stamps (A degree and a diploma)
- A beanie from one of my colleges.
- A four-colour pen. (The tutor had a spare)
- An appreciation for volunteer work.
- An apperciation for working in the social work/community development sector in general.
- A mechanical keyboard for my shitty six year old Mac.
- A new phone that now, is kinda useless to me for anything other than making/receiving calls.
- A mean looking ‘Middle Eastern beard’
- Another friend group.
- A taste for pale ales and lagers.
- A taste for alcohol in general.
- A car.
- A black pair of super skinny jeans. (Yeowch!)
- A fondness for the beach and the ocean.
- Lady friends in Italy. (Thanks Instagram!)
- Lady friends in Turkey. (Again, Thanks Insta!)
- A license to sell/serve alcohol. (I could become a bartender maybe … ?)
I am sure there are way more but I honestly can’t think of them off the top of my head. Now then, why don’t we make it fair and list the things that I did NOT receive or obtain after my graduation?
- A job.
- A job.
Despite applying for work like mad, nothing seems to be going my way. A lot of people have told me that going back to Uni would be a waste of another two or three years and would put me at risk of being considered ‘overqualified’ for my field of choice. Of course, I would take any job at this point in time. Hence why I’ve found myself completing short course after short course to obtain some extra skills in the employability department. (License to Serve, First Aid, a course on how to make coffees/cappucinos at a bar/cafe/restaraunt, a certificate in training and assessment, etc)
People keep telling me that something must come along eventually. Let’s just hope that these people are right, and are also talking from experience.
Anyways, that’s my post for the month/year/decade. What have YOU been up to?